Thursday 4 July 2013

SCBU Mummies.

In just goes to show that no matter what shitty situation you go through, there are always people in the same boat as you. Having the attitude of "MY child is sick" instead of "OUR children are sick" won't get you anywhere in a situation or environment like this. 

My first encounter with SCBU was strange; my baby was taken there and I was told I could visit her in a few hours time, I was hoping to go home that day so to have her not by my side was weird and we just didn't know what to do with ourselves. Me & the boy walked over (me in my pj's sporting the 'I've just had a baby' look, barely able to walk with drop foot and looking as rough as ever) to the baby unit; not having a clue what to do we pressed the buzzer and said we were the parents of Baby Banks. 

I literally had no clue but as we walked into the high dependency room, we saw our little cupcake all wired up and all I wanted to do was cry - I wouldn't want anyone seeing their newborn like that. We sat with Orlaith, we talked to her and just kept holding her. As I looked around, all couples were in the same situation but no one seemed to talk. 

Of course we visited everyday and sat with her all day and into early hours of the morning most nights; nurses were lovely and always supportive, but I rarely spoke to anyone except a smile here and there if you bumped into them in the corridor. It wasn't because everyone was rude, it was because we had all been thrown in this awkward situation and "how are you?" is such a stupid question in that environment. Some parents got on really well but before you had a chance to get to know them, they would get their going home date and they'd be gone. 

Orlaith made a few trips back and forth between the nursery and high dependency room; during this time, we got to know certain faces. Gradually as time went on, there were certain people you'd see every day and we would all just start chatting - finally, people that knew what you were going through and how tough it was but regular conversations brought a bit of normality into our situations. Over time, it become a set group of us and I actually began to enjoy spending my time there. 

The majority of the babies in SBCU at he time I was there were premature babies. Orlaith was only 8lbs but looked like a toddler compared to the other babies around her. We would always laugh and joke, they totally understood my humour (thank God...) and conversation would just flow. It's reassuring knowing you'll be spending your days in this unit but surrounded my mums who were going through the same thing and it was even more at ease because we got on so well and could joke about things. 

One by one they began to go home, of course I was a little bit envious but as I had gotten to know these mums and dads to a personal level; I was simply overjoyed for them - it was amazing news! We would also celebrate each others successes and support and comfort one another through the down times. 

I'm still in contact with all the mummies from the unit, I love hearing how they are getting on and what's new with them and their babies. I really hope Orlaith will grow up keeping in touch with her little friends from SCBU, I think it's an amazing foundation for a friendship. I would definitely of gone insane and started pulling my hair out if it weren't of these babes, really makes you treasure friendship more. 

SCBU feels like a lifetime ago, but I can't wait to go and see all the nurses when we're home and of course meet up with all the mums and babies - Orlaith's definitely missing her favourites! 




No comments:

Post a Comment